More information about cookies
WHAT IS A COOKIE?
A cookie is a harmless text file that is stored in your browser when you visit almost any website. Its usefulness is that the web is able to remember your visit next time you browse in that site. Although many people do not know it cookies are been using for 20 years, when the first browsers appeared for the World Wide Web.
WHAT IS NOT A COOKIE?
It is not a virus, a trojan, an IWorm, spam, spyware and it does not open pop-up windows.
WHAT KIND OF INFORMATION STORES A COOKIE?
Cookies usually do not store sensitive information about you, like credit cards o bank data, pictures, your ID or personal information, etc. The information they store has technical nature, personal preferences, personalization of contents, etc.
The server does not associate you as a person but your web browser. In fact, if you browse frequently with Internet Explorer and try to browse in the same site with Firefox or Chrome, you will see that the web does not notice that you are the same person because it associates the browser not the person.
WHAT TYPES OF COOKIES EXISTS?
Technical cookies: these are the most elemental cookies and they allow, among other things, to know when it is a person who is browsing or an automated application, when an anonymous user and a registered one browses; and basic tasks for any dynamic web functioning.
Analysis cookies: they get information about the type of browsing that is been realized, the sections more used, products consulted, time slot of use, language, etc.
Advertising cookies: they show adverts in function of your browsing, your country, language, etc.
WHAT ARE FIRST PARTY COOKIES AND THIRD PARTIES COOKIES?
First party cookies are generated by the web that you are visiting and third parties cookies are generated by services or external providers like Facebook, Twitter, Google, etc.
WHAT HAPPEN IF I DEACTIVATE COOKIES?
To understand the reaching of deactivating cookies we show you some examples:
– You will not be able to share contents of that site on Facebook, Twitter or any social network.
– The website will not be able to adapt the contents to your personal preferences, as it is usual in online shops.
– You will not be able to access to the personal area of that website, such as “Mi account”, “My profile” or “My orders”.
– Online shops: you will not be able to do online purchases; they will have to be by telephone o in brick-and-mortar stores, when it is possible.
– It will not be possible to personalize your geographical preferences like time slot, currency or language.
– The website will not be able to make web analytics about the visitors and the traffic on the web, what would make the web less competitive.
– You will not be able to write on the blog, upload pictures, publish comments, value or grade contents. The website will not be able also to know if you are a human or an automated application that publishes spam.
– Sectioned advertising could not be shown, what will reduce the advertising incomes of the web.
IS IT POSSIBLE TO ELIMINATE COOKIES?
Yes. Not only eliminate, but also block, in a general way or in particular for a specific domain.
To eliminate cookies from a website you should go to the settings of your browser and there you will be able to search the associated ones to the specific domain and proceed to its removal.
COOKIES CONFIGURATION FOR THE MOST POPULAR BROWSERS
Next we show you how to access to a specific cookie in Chrome. Note: these steps may vary depending on the version of the browser:
– Go to Settings or Preferences using the File menu or by clicking the personalization icon that appears on the top right.
– You will see different sections; click the Show Advanced Options option.
– Go to Privacy, Content Settings.
– Select All cookies and site data.
– A list will appear with all cookies ordered by domain. To make it easier to find a specific cookie domain enter partially or completely the address in the field Search cookies.
– After making this filter it will appear on the screen one or more lines with the cookies of the requested web. Now just select it and press X to proceed to its removal.
To access to the cookie settings on Internet Explorer follow these steps (may vary depending on the version of the browser):
– Go to Tools, Internet Options.
– Click on Privacy.
– Move the slider to adjust the level of privacy you want.
To access to the cookie settings on the Firefox browser follow these steps (may vary depending on the version of the browser):
– Go to Options or Preferences depending on your operating system.
– Click on Privacy.
– In History choose Use custom settings for history.
– Now you can see the Accept Cookies option, you can activate or deactivate as desired.
To access to the cookie settings of the Safari browser for OSX follow these steps (may vary depending on the version of the browser):
– Go to Preferences, then Privacy.
– In this place you will see the Lock cookies option to adjust the type of lock you desire.
To access to the cookie settings of the Safari browser for iOS follow these steps (may vary depending on the version of the browser):
– Go to Settings, then Safari.
– Go to Privacy and Security; you will see the Block cookies option to fit the type of block you desire.
To access to the cookie settings of the browser for Android devices follow these steps (may vary depending on the version of the browser):
– Run the browser and press the Menu button, then Settings.
– Go to Security and Privacy, you will see the Accept cookies option for you to activate or deactivate the box.
To access to the cookie settings of the browser for Windows Phone devices follow these steps (may vary depending on the version of the browser):-
– Open Internet Explorer, then More, then Settings.
– You can now enable or disable the Allow cookies box.